Monday, June 21, 2010

Board Games Can Help Kids Learn


I don't think this is a dangerous assumption. Especially not given some research I found at a usnews blog, which suggests that a game with a numeric line, such as in Chutes and Ladders, can help lower-income children to conceptualize numbers better. The research (more-so than the blog) is worth a look if you have a few minutes, and I am glad there is some conclusive evidence to support what I have assumed to be true, that board games rock and make life better. Still, the benefits of board games must far exceed the findings of the recent study. I would love to see some research about the social development of children who play board games instead of video games, such as their internal code of ethics or ability to empathize and cope with loss or victory. That doesn't mean I am necessarily a proponent of having your children play a recent Chutes and Ladders variant...Shoot'n Ladders: Frag Fest (Smirk and Dagger Games 2009):

Although I've played Shoot'n Ladders and it can be very fun...at least for an hour or so.

1 comment:

  1. Wow, thanks for this article. I am studying the use of games applied to learn and regardless the hype about videogames there are much more potential to board games unexplored.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting at Pinebars: Applying Board Game Mechanics!