Sunday, May 10, 2009

Highest-Low Mechanic Experiment

This summer I plan to test the hypothesis I stated in the last post. I will be supervising 6 individuals. Their required duties include: scheduling appointments with camp coordinators, signing over keys to guests, holding a duty cell phone and responding to issues that arise, responding to emergencies as they arise in the building, checking rooms before guests arrive and after they leave, filling out all necessary paperwork. These are duties that are in the job description.

There are at least four other tasks that I wish to encourage through the use of a highest-low game. These include, working together on tasks to improve camaraderie, ensuring we never run out of forms, and continually monitoring bulletin boards. These are not in the job description, and I feel I prefer to not add to the list of things that they are forced to do. Instead I hope to use the highest-low mechanism to provide incentive to choose to do that which I want done.

Here is an example chart:
I acknowledge the words are difficult to read, but what can still be seen are the four catagories and four players. Each player moves to the right on the chart toward higher point values based on the number of times spent helping a co-worker with room-checks or sprucing up a bulletin board.

While in my previous post I described the highest-low mechanic as a victory condition, in this case, the mechanic only gives a score per round. I plan to add each employees score from the week based on the activity they did the least to an overall score for the summer. The employee with the best total score at the end of the summer will earn a $30 gift certificate to the restaurant of their choice.

One consideration: since the game will involve a certain level of trust (each employee will have to report to me what they did to move them up the chart), I do not want the prize to be so highly valued that there will be more incentive to cheat than to play by the rules, but at the same time the prize must be valuable enough to provide incentive to participate (the "game," after all, is optional).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting at Pinebars: Applying Board Game Mechanics!