Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Experiment adendum 1

After one week of the highest-low experiment I was slightly discouraged. People weren't reporting when they did extra actions! Was the highest-low mechanic not working? Or was something else wrong?

After talking with the staff and shrugging off my disappointment (person with the highest-low each week gets the reserved parking space in front of the building so I thanked them for allowing me to have it another week) I realized that the main problem was forgetfulness. In order to score, they were required to email me every time they did an extra action, which means they would have to remember to email me several times throughout the week. My solution (and I will see how this works out) was to print off self-reporting sheets. As they go through the week they put a tally every time they do something and then bring the sheet to our weekly staff meeting. Hopefully they will remember to bring the sheet.

I think the solution will work, but I am not sure it is the most efficient one. I had to come up with it relatively fast, which, as in the case with any new rules, could be disastrous the system. There are already at least two side-effect that I can identify: that since scores will only be reported at the end of every week, there will be no way to check other's progress and be encouraged to compete, and second, this system all but eliminates the need for the highest-low game board I made that is now hanging on the office wall. Sad.

I also forgot to mention to them that the winner for the whole summer will earn $30 to a restaurant of their choice. They didn't ask, which means that if they really embrace the game this next week (operating solely on the incentive for the parking space and to help one another) then I may cut the award down to $20 and save myself some cash.

1 comment:

  1. Hope it works; let us know.

    Maybe as an additional weekly reward you could offer to cover their duty for a day or half day.

    That would get me into the competition for sure

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting at Pinebars: Applying Board Game Mechanics!