Thursday, November 20, 2008

Creating games

I made a game three years ago called the Legend of Shadow Creek. For various reasons it did not get completed to my satisfaction, but this past week I pulled it out of the closet to look at it again.
I designed a few modifications and put them to the test. As I played, McNeill came into my room. The door was open. I like testing games by myself, but I like testing them with other people even better, so I invited him to join me. Quickly I scrapped the game I was playing, re-set up, and explained the game. I was encouraged by his positive feedback and comments such as "cool mechanism" or queries regarding rules. McNeill was very engaged in considering the game seriously and he participated not only in the game play but in giving constructive feedback and criticisms. By the time we finished I had an entire page of written notes scrawled on a paper on the table, but I had more than that. He had given me a reason to continue. He had given me feedback and he expected to see changes. Not only did this demonstrate his interest in my game, but also his dedication to seeing it completed. His excitement helped fuel me to conduct a second play test yesterday evening with a complete set of six players, and while not all six were as enthusiastic as McNeill, I was not discouraged. Although I don't like to admit it, I think I rely very heavily on others opinions of what I have made, which could be bad if I let it keep me from continuing what I want to do, but can also be a good thing when it serves as inspiration for future success.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting at Pinebars: Applying Board Game Mechanics!