Friday, November 12, 2010

Build Your Own Board Game

I could not let us go on any longer without addressing a relative newcomer on the board game scene; last year, LEGO put out a baker's dozen's worth of "board" games, and, naturally, I was intrigued as soon as I heard about them. If you're like me, you just flashed back to a childhood full of brick-by-brick building, sometimes by the manual, sometimes letting your creativity take total control. I still have quite the soft spot for LEGOs, and, considering my love for board games, I was quite excited about the possibilities. I have played one of the games and will give you a short review.
The game I got my hands on (literally) was Ramses Pyramid. This game is unique among the LEGO games in that Reiner Knizia helped design it. If you are familiar with German games, you'll know that Knizia is a popular designer and makes quality games. There are some positives to this game; for one, you get to build it! Awesome. Also, the game allows for some memory challenges and offers the potential for strategic thinking. Unfortunately, it stops at potential, at least in the rule book. Like many kid-aimed games, the game hinges on the roll of a die. Guess what the condition for winning is. Go ahead, guess!

You have to be at the top of the pyramid, and then you have to roll a 3. AHHH! Very anti-climactic. Knizia must have been passed out or asleep when they came up with that one. He must have been...

So much for gameplay. HOWEVER... The rulebook is seemingly intentionally vague, and even suggests the creation of your own set of rules. This seems perfect for LEGO, and also perfect for anyone interested in game design. Start by tweaking the rules a little, maybe add your own LEGO bricks, and, eventually, why not start from the ground and build (hehe) a whole new game! Why not take two games and combine them? So, like I said, a lot of potential. It makes me even more interested in playing LEGO's take on Pictionary: Creationary. Imagine playing this one with that huge box of old bricks. Oh... I'm the only one with a LEGO surplus? You can borrow some of mine.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting at Pinebars: Applying Board Game Mechanics!