Sunday, October 3, 2010

Drop Site Wins CartaMundi 2010!


Shocked and thrilled! And incredibly thankful!

My card game, DROP SITE, won 1st place for the CartaMundi special prize at the Premio Archimede 2010 competition in Venice, ITALY this past weekend, and 7th place overall.

What began as a complicated mess of card game three years ago, suddenly evolved into a fun, concise and strategic card game one lazy Saturday morning in April. Two months later I was finished with the artwork and theme and submitting it to the Premio Archimede with only moderate hopes of winning any prize.


My praise and thanks go first and primarily to God, who guided me every step of the way on this venture and who continues to give meaning and purpose to encouraging and discouraging moments alike.

Secondly I would like to thank my wife who played the game with me frequently to make sure it was right, as well as several friends who have played it as well (Brandon, Lauren, Chase, Kien, Dante, Allie, Jen, and Thomas).

What happens next?

Well, I was unable to attend the event...it was in Venice and I am only a lowly graduate student, so funds for international travel do not come readily. That means I missed the opportunity to interact with many important persons in the world of board game publishing, but I am hopeful that much good will still come of this award.

For starters, the award description for winner of the CartaMundi says that the artwork for the game will be done for free by ScriBabs and 1000 copies of the card game will be printed by CartaMundi. I have not been contacted yet about how these details will shake out.

I expect also that the awesome wooden card at the top of this post will be sent to me via mail. Winners of the other awards were all given similar trophies.

After that?

Who knows, but be on the lookout for DROP SITE.

4 comments:

  1. Hi,

    congratulations for the "Premio Archimede" result! I'm a cardgame fanatic and I'd like more info on your DROP SITE game.

    Regards,

    Cristiano

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Cristiano!

    Thanks for your interest in the game. It is a basic "play one, draw one" game where players try to match cards they've put away with cards on the table. It also has an interesting little bluffing aspect to it as well.

    I hope you will get the opportunity to get a copy if it gets published!

    Cheers,

    Dennis

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi,

    i think you'll get the free 1000 copies of your game published by carta mundi. If I'm not wrong keep me updated since I'd like to get one of those!

    Cristiano

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting at Pinebars: Applying Board Game Mechanics!