Saturday, January 23, 2010

Thoughts about theme

In my last post I talked about some principles that were important in picking out a good game for couples to play together (either you with your significant other, or you and your significant other with other couples). Last night I was talking with my wife and her friend about games that we like to play together as couples and our friend mentioned that her favorite game was Wasabi! (Z-Man Games) because it was fun, but also because it had a cute theme that was done right.

If you are not familiar with Wasabi! it is a tile-laying game in which players attempt to complete recipes with sushi ingredients (As I write, I remember that this is now the second time I have written about Wasabi! Click here for a link to the earlier post--now over a year old!). It is a fairly simple game to learn and play, and its pretty fun as well. What I really like about it though, is that it is one of my favorite games to show off. Not only are the components well-crafted and fun (think little wasabi bowls), but also the theme stands-out. Its unique. There are hundreds of war and history (and history of war) games, but, to my knowledge, there is only one game about making sushi rolls.

I have often wondered why people play the games they play, and what it is about a game that makes it desirable to pick-up and try or to try again and again. Most importantly I ask, why are people so hesitant to try new games? While I still think that we are intimidated by the thought of learning a bunch of new rules (especially if we are just trying to relax), I think theme is a just-as relevant factor. A game with a strikingly fun and unique theme, such as Wasabi, will warrant a try even if it looks slightly complicated. A game about the fall of Thrace in the 8th century BC will warrant a glossy stare, at best, from the majority of people you attempt to introduce to it (pardon my complete disregard for actual historical events or places in this sentence).

Are you someone who likes to try new games, or who wants to introduce a new game to your couple's night? Think about theme. People will pardon the need to learn a few new rules if the game looks fresh, contemporary, and fun.

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree. As a casual gamer, I usually only enjoy social interaction games rather than competitive strategy games.

    One thing that stinks about some games is that when I want to "play" a game, I end up spending 30 minutes learning rules. Social game = Simple game

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting at Pinebars: Applying Board Game Mechanics!